What is a cookie?
Cookies are small data files or pieces of information that many websites automatically download or transfer to a user’s computer, phone or tablet’s hard disk to recognise users, help their websites operate better and, sometimes, to track information about your use of the website. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies.
When you visit our websites our web server sends a cookie to your device which allows us to recognise your device and distinguish you from other users. This is done by way of an indirect pseudonymous identifier. Cookies help us to provide you with a good experience when you visit or return to our websites and also allow us to improve our website.
Types of cookies we use and why
We use the following cookies:
- Single session cookies: to manage the session on our website. This enables us to keep track of/remember you as you move from page to page.
- Analytics: to improve the website by using analytics to understand traffic patterns so we can identify popular website content and potential problems.
Information we collect about you
We collect the following information about you:
- Details of your visits to our websites and what you access
- Your IP address and the web addresses of sites you come from
- Information about your device such as its browser and operating system.
The information we collect is not linked to your personal information and we cannot identify you.
Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you do not have to accept cookies and you can exercise some control. If you prefer, you can change your browser to prevent that or to browse using your anonymous usage setting, and your help screen or manual will tell you how to do this. However, without accepting cookies you may not have a great user experience when on our website.
If you do wish to block or reject all or certain cookies, then please read the information that came with your browser software to see how you can turn off the automatic download feature. For more information about cookies, including how to set your internet browser to reject cookies, please go to www.allaboutcookies.org.
How long will the cookies remain?
The cookies we use will appear in the cookies file of your browser after the closing of the browser, and will become active again when you visit and reopen the website, until removed. The cookie(s) can be deleted at any time by you. They don’t collect any information when you are not accessing the website.
Third party cookies
- We use the following third party tracking and analytic tools and technologies to enable us to understand and meaningfully target and engage our website visitors and users and make our marketing more relevant, as well as to analyse our website’s performance:
Last updated: April 2021